May 31, 2024

Sindh Govt Empowering Communities with Renewable Energy

In Pakistan, the Sindh government has unveiled a major initiative to support renewable energy, especially solar energy. With international partners, it seeks to increase the access to energy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and strengthen the local economy.

This year, the Sindh provincial government in Pakistan announced a scheme of subsidized solar panels as part of its annual budget with the aims of generating renewable energy and tackling energy poverty.

The Sindh energy minister Syed Nasir Hussain Shah announced a revolutionary plan to distribute solar units to people so that they will not be in the dark in the dead hours of the night.

Addressing Energy Poverty


In that scheme, the govt are said to give Rs 5 billion to solar energy projects in the new budget. And one of the strategies that the govt will apply to achieve that goal is distributing 200,000 solar panels to all the poor people at a low-figure price.

They must pay for only 20% of the solar panels tale while the other 80% will be subsided by the government. The government devised this tactile to reduce poverty and urge people to get used to solar energy.

The minister stressed that the Sindh state department has 500,000 households that are not connected to electricity grids and claimed that the discounted solar panel scheme would give thousands of families an affordable and functional energy source.

In addition to the distribution of low-cost panels, the central government is also developing large solar parks and Mini grid stations all over the province, including in Karachi. These infrastructure developments will help to improve not just access but make energy supply more reliable for residents of the province, especially those living in remote areas.

He claims that ‘some 5,00,000 homes in Sindh are either not grid or on a load-shedding regime of erratic electricity supplies’, and that a low-cost energy option is required to enable thousands of families to uplift their livelihood through the programme of subsidized solar panels.

Along with giving out heavily subsidized solar panels, the project also aims to make more and more infrastructure accessible – such as solar parks and mini-grid stations across the province, including in Karachi, which will help increase both the access to, and reliability of power for, residents, especially those living farther away from urban centers.

Sindh Solar Power Projects


There is much more going on in Hyderabad than the heavily discounted solar panel scheme, which will also be supported by the World Bank, and which the provincial government in Sindh plans to replicate in the form of 500 MW of solar power projects for the province.

Together, the collection of solar power plants in Sindh will generate electricity by taking power from photovoltaic panels that convert solar energy into clean energy. In doing so, the projects and the government will help reducing greenhouse gas emissions and at the same time contribute to sustainable development.

In particular, the road map between the Sindh government and K-Electric has additional initiatives including solar systems installed on the rooftops of government buildings, lowering energy bills for public institutions, and demonstrating the public sector’s commitment to become a pioneer in adopting renewable energy.

It’s worth mentioning that Solar Home Systems project aims at spreading access to off-grid solar systems in rural households by providing a better quality of life and helping people in remote areas. This shows the crucial role of solar energy to cover the energy needs in Pakistan, to promote renewables as a plus for our environment, and to replace classic commercial energy with a renewable, community-based source of energy.



You may also like

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}
>