June 6, 2024

UAE’s AJ Steel Pipes plans 3MW rooftop solar project

AJ Steel Pipes, a UAE-based steel pipe manufacturer and exporter, recently sparked sustainable momentum when it joined forces with EMerge, a partnership between Masdar and EDF Group, to install a 3MWp rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) plant on its production sites in Mussafah, Abu Dhabi.

The project complements the UAE’s Energy Strategy 2050 and AJ Steel’s carbon neutralization efforts. Powered by more than 5,000 solar PV modules, the rooftop solar plant is expected to offset more than 2,500 tons of CO2 every year.

Reducing Energy Bills


It is expected to generate more than 5,000 MWh of electricity annually, greatly reducing AJ Steel Pipes’ energy bills, and contributing to the clean energy drive of the country.

Michel Abi Saab, general manager of Emerge, summarized the project’s benefits ”The facility will help AJ Steel Pipes further reduce operating costs” and decrease their carbon footprint while supporting the UAE’s strategic goals to diversify the energy mix.

We are, therefore, delighted to welcome AJ Steel Pipes, LLC as a client. We look forward to working with AJ Steel Pipes’ team to help achieve its decarbonization goals.

Supporting UAE's Energy Strategy 2050


By 2050, the UAE Energy Strategy 2050 seeks to boost the contribution of clean energy in the UAE’s energy mix to 44 per cent. The AJ Steel Pipes rooftop solar plant is an example of the required projects.

M Ismail, Executive Director of AJ Steel Pipes, was upbeat: ‘It is quite encouraging to see such a green project being recognized with such positive approach for achieving the green steel goal.’

He further commented: ‘The lease structure of the business via our approach of not investing in non-core assets and the use of third-party best enablers is in line with our business philosophy.’ The UAE also has other large-scale solar projects in the works.

The first of these is ‘Shams Dubai’, which enables building owners to install panels on their rooftops and connect directly to DEWA’s grid; use the surplus power generated on site; and sell anything else.

Other projects include, MASDAR CITY SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAIC PLANT, 10 MW photovoltaic solar plant completed in end 2009 start 2010. Will produce about 17,500 MWh of clean electricity every year and is the first grid connected renewable energy project in the UAE.

Similarly, a 7MWp Photovoltaic Plant is linked to the Khazan Data Center in Abu Dhabi – by 2020-2025, 45 per cent of data centers in Abu Dhabi will be powered by photovoltaic plants, while the remaining 55 per cent by gas combustion plants.

EMerge’s Role in the Solar Industry


Emerge, which was established in 2021, focuses on developing distributed solar, energy storage and hybrid solutions for commercial and industrial use. The joint venture between Masdar and EDF Group specializes in ensuring the sustainability of energy production projects, in line with the UAE’s wider energy ambitions.

The rooftop solar project by AJ Steel Pipes, which generates 3MW of renewable electricity in conjunction with Emerge, is a pioneering milestone for the UAE, breaking away from a dependence solely on fossil fuels.

The project leveraged next generation photovoltaic technology and business models to demonstrate how the energy transition can be achieved, not only supporting the UAE’s Energy Strategy 2050, but paving the way for the fossil fuel industry to reduce its carbon footprint and become more sustainable.


You may also like

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}
>