May 7, 2024

Mauritius Announced Bidding for 15 MW Solar Plant

The Central Electricity Board (CEB) of Mauritius, a state-owned entity, has initiated a tender process, by Section 16 of the Public Procurement Act 2006, to secure consultancy services for a 15 MW solar plant, with applications due by May 22 under reference number OAB-CPR-2024-6011.

Both Local and Foreign can Apply

To facilitate the construction of a 15 MW solar plant, the Central Electricity Board of Mauritius has launched a call for proposals. Selected consultants will act as independent engineers in this capacity. Applications are welcome from both foreign consulting firms and Mauritius-based organisations, and the Central Electricity Board website has extensive details.

“Please ensure that proposals for the project titled "OAB-CPR-2024-6011: Consultancy Services for Independent Engineering in the Implementation of a 15MWac Solar Farm" are submitted no later than 13:30 Mauritian Time on Wednesday, May 22, 2024. Late submissions will not be considered,” the Central Electricity Board announced.

Proposals can be delivered to the Tender Box at the Central Electricity Board office on Royal Road in Curepipe, Republic of Mauritius, or sent via registered post or Courier Service to the same address. Bids will be opened on May 22, 2024, in the presence of attending bidders or their representatives.

Renewable-generated Electricity to Increase by 14% Next Year

The energy policy of Mauritius' government promotes the adoption of renewable and environmentally friendly energy sources to diminish reliance on fossil fuels and lower greenhouse gas emissions. Plans have been announced to elevate the proportion of electricity generated from renewable sources from 21% to 35% by 2025.

This objective will be pursued through initiatives including wind farms, solar power, biomass, wave energy, and waste-to-energy projects. Bagasse, the residue from sugarcane processing, currently accounts for the majority of renewable energy production at 89%. Other sources of renewable electricity generation in Mauritius include hydro, wind, landfill gas, fuelwood, and solar energy.

Mauritius had deployed 108 MW of solar by the end of 2023, according to figures from the International Renewable Energy Agency.

Home Solar Project Scheme

The solar panel arrays are strategically positioned atop the Phillip Arnold blocks and the Dorset Cancer Centre, underscoring the trust's commitment to integrating solar energy into its decarbonization efforts while improving healthcare amenities and services for the local community.

“Above the Phillip Arnold blocks and the Dorset Cancer Centre are the solar panel arrays. As we decarbonise our estate and improve healthcare facilities and services for our community, this relationship demonstrates our dedication to embracing solar energy,” Stuart remarked.

Chris Cowling, Aztec Solar's commercial director, highlighted the significance of joining forces with Centrica Business Solutions for their business's expansion in developing and implementing commercial solar PV systems.

“We have offered solutions for numerous healthcare facilities, including Poole Hospital, so we are aware of how critical it is to collaborate closely with Centrica Business Solutions to reduce the impact of our installation and the electricity outage on patient safety and medical equipment,” Cowling added.

Poole Hospital's partnership with Centrica Business Solutions and Aztec Solar Energy marks a significant stride towards achieving net zero emissions. This collaborative effort showcases the potential for utilizing rooftop space for solar initiatives, paving the way for a greener, more sustainable future in the healthcare sector.

Free Installation of Solar Panels

The project concentrates on introducing rooftop solar modules to social housing complexes, providing and installing the panels free of charge for eligible households. To increase awareness and participation among qualifying households, the CEB has implemented a successful outreach program and awareness campaign, resulting in the installation of solar systems for 2,000 households.

The Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities oversees the CEB, which is the only agency in Mauritius responsible for the transmission, distribution, and sale of energy. Currently, CEB's eight hydroelectric plants and four thermal power plants provide 40% of the nation's overall electricity needs. The remaining 60% is bought from independent power providers, primarily private firms that use imported coal and bagasse from the sugarcane industry.

You may also like

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}